2026-09-18

I ran across these civil servant pins

They are service anniversary awards.  Trouble is, I don’t even know which side of the family they’re from.  Neither my mom or Julie remember anyone serving this kind of role in our family history.  Interesting and cool, but I wish I knew a little more about who they belonged to.

Here’s what Siri suggested for the kinds of roles it could be…

United States government civilian employees encompass a wide range of non-military roles across various federal departments and agencies. Any full-time civilian employee reaching the 15 or 20-year milestone could be awarded these pins, including:

  • Administrative and Clerical Staff: Secretaries, data entry clerks, and office managers supporting federal offices.
  • Professional Specialists: Lawyers, physicians, biologists, and engineers working for agencies like the EPA, NASA, or the Department of Veterans Affairs.
  • Public Safety and Security: Federal law enforcement officers, correctional officers, and intelligence analysts at the FBI or CIA.
  • Service and Operations: Postal workers, air traffic controllers, and national park rangers.

These employees are part of the federal civil service, which is managed by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). The workforce is generally divided into three categories:

  • The Competitive Service: The majority of civil service positions, where employees are hired based on merit after a competitive process.
  • The Excepted Service: Positions with streamlined hiring processes, often used for specialized roles like intelligence, foreign service, or medical professionals.
  • The Senior Executive Service (SES): Non-competitive, senior leadership positions filled by career employees or political appointments.
IMG_2618.jpeg

No comments: