It was selected in the mid-60’s after a heated competition. They had to have a reliable time piece for the planned moon landing. Back in the day, they timed their engine burns with what they could wear on their wrist! The current Speedmaster Professional is that watch. It has an acrylic crystal since they didn’t want glass in space that would shatter instead of just crack. The case back (shown here) is inscribed appropriately.
Interestingly, Swatch (yeah the plastic watch folks from the 80’s shown in the lower right pic) just partnered with Omega to come out with this nod to the Moonwatch called the Moon Swatch. Pictured in the middle (case back lower left). It’s just a cheap quartz, but I still had to put my self on a waitlist for one! Fun and cool! I remember swatch being all the rage. $25 watches people were paying hundreds for to get them first back in the day. They still seem to be able to generate the same hype hahahaha.
I have my network looking for an old, used Speedmaster reduced triple date so see if I can get a “real” one…
No comments:
Post a Comment