2011-06-19

Father's Day, the gift that keeps on giving.

Two things that I always remember about my dad...  One is the fact that Mom and Dad always managed to find and get us the best gifts at Christmas.  Things like Mattel Football, etc.  The second thing is that he always managed to be able to fix our things if they broke.  I can remember sitting there, looking over his shoulder, holding the light, and helping.  All the while learning...  Learning for what, you might ask?Fast forward to 2011.  I have my own boys.  We run across (the meticulously saved) Atomic Pinball game in the basement of Mom and Dad's old house.  It had to be one of my all time favorite gifts and games growing up.  The problem is, it doesn't run anymore.  That doesn't seem to slow the boys down.  They played it for a couple hours last night "manually".  No score, no bumpers, but still fun.  Today, I told them that it might be fun to try and fix it for Father's Day.  We dove in.  Johnny watched, Andy wielded his Swiss army screwdriver and we carefully disassembled, diagnosed, and cleaned it.  Ta-da, we turned it on and it rang back to life!  The boys were thrilled and are now hollering, "This is my favorite game ever!"So, thanks Dad!  It brought back good memories, I used what you taught me, and made some good memories of my own for the boys.  Happy Father's Day, Dad, I love you!!-Tiger

No comments: