2008-08-04

Misadventure...

Ok, so, this is our HUGE Elm tree... Notice all the freshly cut branches.

So this is a case of what goes up must come down... Sometimes faster than desired...

If you follow the left branch of the tree, you can see a Y that is about 12 feet off the ground. There is a big, fresh stub about 4 feet up on the right side of the Y.

Well, I had my ladder up there, had properly calculated where the branch would land when I cut it, etc. I was wearing my heavy gloves, work boots, hard hat, safety glasses, ear plugs, and had a safety spotter watching me. However, I didn't account for the chance of the limb hitting exactly where we predicted... and then BOUNCING back up into the air spinning and grazing the side of the ladder...!





So... Here is the result... The ladder bent horribly just about the time I realized what was happening and tried to skitter down...! It knocked me off. Luckily (kind of), my feet managed to hit some rungs about 8 feet down. This explains the three bent/sheered steps. Fortunately, my high-top, steel-shank boots helped here. At any rate, this slowed my fall enough that when I landed on my bum, on the limb, that it only seriously hurt instead of being seriously hurt.

I got a clean bill of health (at least physically) from the Miami Valley South ER early this morning. But the pain killers are still required tonight to keep me from lying around and moaning. Thank God for watching out for me.

Broken: None of me
Hurting: Most of me
Bruised: My Ego... Luckily, there weren't any video cameras.

No comments: